What would your kid self think?

Went out with Jan last night to watch "Bolt". Was good but not excellent. I think they missed the clarity of storytelling that Pixar has. Anyway, Jan was like carrying a boulder of worry atop her shoulders. Work and family problems. I think she just needed to vent it out to a listening ear so at least I could offer that. Something was very different about her last night. Perhaps I have not seen much of this side of her (I am more accustomed to her cheerful, confident side). This got me thinking a lot. Your life is mainly formed by your beliefs and God knows how many people have already lost the plot. It isn't "growing up", "maturity" or being "realistic". People compromise, take shortcuts, sacrifice their values until nothing is happy for them. When this inevitably happens, they impose their own unhappiness on others. This is a form of voluntary enslavement. Thus, I make it a point not to settle for anything less. No "comfy" government job for me. "Comfy" chains are afterall still chains. I remember the Bruce Willis movie whereby the character's kid self went back in time and was disappointed with what his adult self had done. Ask yourself this, "If my kid self went back in time, what would he think of me?" I think I will get along really well with my kid self. =)

Comments

Popular Posts