Honesty goes rewarded!

Here's a rare case of how honesty is actually rewarded... Well, here is how it started: I had borrowed some books from the library and thought I had returned them all, even when the library records showed that one of them had not been returned. I believed that I had returned it so I told the librarian that I had. The librarian thus put a "disputed" tag on the book, meaning that they would suspend the late return fine till they found it. Turns out I didn't return it. I found it a month later slipped between a file of mine. If the fine was enforced, I'd be paying like a hundred bucks for it. I COULD slip it into the shelves and pretend that I had returned it and it just "popped up". In fact, that would have been the easiest way out. Still, it didn't feel honourable. So, I went up to the Library straight after work and apologized for my mistake, fully intent on paying the fine. I confessed my screw up to the Librarian but she was really nice to me. In the end, I didn't need to pay a cent. She waived all my charges! Honesty prevails! Was happy I didn't do the sneaky thing... I slept well that night.

Comments

Popular Posts