Work pressure, Jack Neo and raisins...

I am winding down now, collecting my thoughts from a week that just kind of flew past. My focus is mainly on what I am going to do start of my work day tomorrow. I've had so much work lately that I can't simply wing it and cruise through. It is always tempting to just do whatever is in front of me but the consequence of doing so results in massive disorder. As the corny wisdom of dad says "Fail to plan, plan to fail". Well, I have learnt not to panic in the face of overwhelming work. Being in several dysfunctional companies have taught me that. In fact, I think I can remain composed and focused because of it. There is a silver lining to working in Chaos Incorporated. There is a tale of a fictitious Japanese mercenary warrior who always chose to fight for the underdog army. Years of fighting in conditions of being grossly outnumbered, being ambushed, fighting on unfavorable terrain, fighting with incompetent comrades, fighting under useless commanders have made him the ultimate warrior; calm, focused and deadly even under pressure. I suppose this can be a powerful mental imagery if ever one is caught in a situation of immense work pressure.
Jill, our naturopath (one of the only sane people in the office) has made me lunch! Seeing how I was always eating trash like cup noodles because I was too tired to cook, she made me some chilli kon kan (Mince beef with chilli, beans and rice). It was lovely and I finished all of it. It really helps to have nice people like this working with you. Here's a photo of the chow... Thank you, Jill! Ah yes, it seems like everyone in Singapore is talking about Jack Neo's (arguably Singapore's most famous director) infidelity. Serves him right really. It is most unfortunate for his family, especially his wife. I don't think his lover is having it any better. Wow! The top 10 most popular in Straits times news is ALL about Jack's affair... which goes to show what most Singaporeans think of "current affairs". I guess it is common for people nowadays to give in to their temptations and cheat on their partners. Gone are the days where we stoned adulterers, which doesn't seem like such a bad idea, given the moral decline. Personally, I don't care about what Jack Neo does and can't be bothered (nor do I want to) pelt him with a rock. As we learnt in the army, "You can do anything, just don't get caught." The point is that someday, even the best cheats get caught. Moral of the story? If you don't want to be caught, don't cheat! Gosh, the world is a complicated place. We want more money, power, influence, fame and what not. Me? I think that sometimes all I want to do is just lie back on a comfy couch and eat raisins. As far as fame and fortune go, I do believe you need SOME money to finance your dreams but it is often less than the amounts that people think they need to make them happy. If anything, having too much material wealth generates worry itself. I term this the "expensive jewellery" syndrome. Why? Suppose a woman bought a really nice and expensive necklace but was constantly plagued by the worry of losing it. Wouldn't it have been better that she didn't buy it? Well, just make sure you own your possessions and not the other way round. Now I go and eat my raisins...

Comments

Popular Posts