Spectator or participant?

Having a really bad day here. Supplier screwed us over and now we are looking at another 2 weeks delay (on top of the 2 weeks out of stock already) for a very important product. Although this time I managed to prove beyond doubt that it wasn't my fault, it still sucks to fail because of someone else's incompetence. Anyway, it is Friday today and time to recover from all the disappointments this week. Truth is I have been living a very isolated existence here in NZ. Go to work. Go home. Play Mass Effect 2. Sleep. And repeat. Yup, that is pretty much it. I guess I'll do some art during the weekends but I really am more or less alone here. I'm good at being alone. I like having the TV to myself, no noisy neighbours, no fussy room mates to tell you to clean up and no one telling you what to do. This is the part I like. The flipside of this is that being alone means that you've got to fight all your battles alone. No friend to share a beer with. No one to watch your back. No one to keep you grounded. No one to get perspective from. This isn't particularly healthy because sooner or later, you get used to being alone and think that is normal. The problem with this is that you soon become a spectator of life rather than a participant of life. You become some sort of ghostly voyuer, watching people go about their lives like it was an impersonal movie unfolding around you. I have been thinking about how my life should be and am looking to fill my list of people that inspire me. Here are some people that I have put on my list (in no order of merit):
  1. Hideo Kojima - Video game director (Metal Gear Series)
  2. Hakeem Olajuwon - NBA Great
  3. ???
That's it. I aspire to be a geeky game god or a seven-foot Nigerian. Wtf???

Comments

Popular Posts