Tough but still need to keep going

As if I need to tell you this. Being jobless is tough. It is tough because whatever illusion of security you have is now gone. It is you vs. the big bad world. It is tough because even your loved ones look at you with derision. And it is tough because even you begin to doubt your own sanity. But let's take a step back and look at this objectively.

Proposition: 
Just take ANY job. Something is better than nothing. You can do your hobby on the side.
Fact:
Wrong. I've proven this to be wrong. I accepted a job (or was given one) in health distribution and while all in all it was okay, I was deeply miserable away from work. Doing what did not suit me just drained the hell out of me. As much time as I had, I could not spend it effectively. I wasn't inspired. I wasn't driven. Worst of all, life became really stale. I grew fat, unhealthy and depressed. I could not help thinking that I should be spending more time on my craft.

Proposition:
Each day you linger without a job makes you less employable.
Fact:
I suppose this is true to some extent. It does. Interviewers always question the blanks in your resume. Especially Singaporean employers. But is it really so bad? Yes and no. Yes, for the simple reason that one does not just live on sunlight and oxygen. Relevance is important so that you can be hired to make money. No? No only if the time was used to develop some other skills. And I have. Are they useful skills? I believe so. 

Proposition:
It is better for your financial future to take something boring but more stable
Fact:
I don't think I could even go there now if I tried. Maybe teach. That is as far as I would go.

Proposition:
It is pretty much a hopeless case now. You've "tried" for 6 months with little result.
Fact:
I'd rather waste a year of my life than waste 20 years moving in all the wrong directions. It isn't hopeless - you just need to be more focused and flexible (yes - ironic) to achieve your goals. You also need to go out/reach out more.

Comments

Popular Posts