At the heart of it

I am at a stage of my life amongst the 4 stages:

1. You think that you know everything.
2. You know that you know nothing.
3. You know that you know something but there are still things you don't know.
4. You know everything there is to know about your expertise but there is something you don't know (and you can't identify it).

Right now, I would say I am between 2 and 3. I'm in trouble and the tides keep forcing me away from my dreams. Deep down, my instincts tell me if I am doing the right thing, much like a sensor that beeps faster each time I can nearer to my goal. I am in complete darkness now. I cannot see in front of me now. Listening to the beeps is just not good enough. I need a plan.

So what is my goal. I am not exactly sure now. But the advantage I have now is that I have done enough to know what isn't my goal. In fact it may not even be found in traditional employment. The voice telling me what I ought to do isn't loud or clear, but it is present. And when I head off into the wrong direction, it screams to pull me back. Here are a few ideas:

Plan:

I know my role is to be a creator, that is something I have always loved to do. I look at my Mass Effect art book and there it is. I am holding my dream in my hand. I want to do a Kojima - Create a world filled with characters of my own design. I got some of the tools now. I have design training, which will allow me to be a good judge of aesthetics and functionality. I have animation training, which allows me to present ideas through movement. I have 3D modeling skills, which allows me to create 360 views of any object or character. And I have creative management skills that allow me to run a team. I also have done time in the Architectural Visualization business, which allows me to understand environments and scale. On top of that, I can now do some minor effects, just to give my characters more life.


So there is a lot there already going for me. But there are issues and obstacles to overcome still:
  • Lack of experience and speed - This one is easy to solve. Just do more work and do it everyday. Eventually it will be as natural as writing or drawing on paper.
  • Financial instability - How do we get around this? I was thinking it might be a good idea to join an indie game developer on a part-time basis, just to make ends meet.
  • Not enough people know your work -  As soon as you have a good body of 3D work, people will come to know of you. They could know you faster if you i) produce work of great quality or ii) produce work that people can relate to. It also helps to be in the industry.
  • Lack of a tangible product - Get into 3D printing. Make some of your creations tangible.
So all I want to do is create. I want to create "cool", the things that people will think "wouldn't it be cool if..." and then they can hold it in my products. I work on my own time and I constantly make people happy. I have enough money to spend so as to have a good life. And I have enough time to approach the things that matter. And I have a dog.


Comments

Popular Posts