When doubt seeps in

Lately I have been doubting myself a lot. I'm thinking of my goal and I think it may be a bit weak. I want to create SOMETHING that will make SOMEONE happy. You know, the kind of feeling you get while opening a new toy on Christmas morning. And it has been tough. I'm not sure what that something is yet. I know that I have made sacrifices to be true to myself but I am suffering a lot for my choices and am not being rewarded for it. I feel ashamed when standing next to my peers, to see the wealth they have amassed for themselves. I see their happy lives, with their happy families, going on vacations to exotic countries. If I am fully honest with myself, yes, I do want some of that. I want my own wealth, to create my own rules. I want to have that great woman by my side, who will love me no matter what. I want to be respected. Today, I no longer stand equal to them. And I am eternally worried that I may never keep up. But there is another truth to it.

The other truth is that there is no one as stubborn as I am. So doggedly determined not to compromise that he is in this shit state because he wanted to be authentic. The truth is that as long as I keep moving and keep improving, I will do it one day. It can be done. I have done it before. I just worked hard. Here is a story I might not have told anyone before. In my 3rd year in GESS, I was kind of a middle of the pack guy. I wasn't fast or anything. Then I may a choice. Every time during PE, I would tell myself "This guy ain't as good as me, I could take him" and you know what? I did. I remember beating 2 of those guys who were always faster than me in the first year. I beat a lot of them. And then, by the time I reached JC, running was never an issue for me. 

So what is the point of this tale? Several I suppose. The first is that any guy who is faster or better than you now can be slower than you in the future. As long as I keep running, keep dreaming, I will get to a point where this will not be a problem for me again. The momentum will just push itself. The 2nd is this. I did not aim for the fastest guy in the pack. I aimed to just beat the best that I thought I could at that present time. That pushed me hard because I knew it was definitely attainable, and it created natural results by itself. If I were to try to catch the fastest guy, I would have probably burnt out and gave up because it would have looked desperately unattainable. And even if I did not give up, I would probably move slowly (and in my own mind) so that I could "catch him with that last burst" in the end. If I had centuries, sure. Maybe I would catch him. But I do not, and I may never catch him (I didn't catch the fastest guys but I was in the top 10). Point is, if you look too far ahead, you lose the joy of competition, and you burn out. Kind of like what you are now.


Comments

Popular Posts