Need a break

 

15 minutes. I've got 15 minutes before my next meeting. I feel mentally tired. My back is aching and I'm nowhere near my flow state. There seems to be a lot to do but not enough space to do it. Like a laborer carrying a stack of bricks overhead, the bricks keep coming. "Just one more. It is just one." I strain and brace myself wondering when that one brick is the one that breaks my back and buries me under. 

Deep breaths, then one step at a time. Sit for a while. Think. "If this is a terrible way to work, what is within your power to change?" Then it isn't so bad any more. It isn't so bad because you now have a plan. It isn't so bad now because you have choices. With choice comes control and here are the choices:

  1. You can take charge of what you want to do OR you can just do whatever people put in front of you
  2. You can take a long-term view to work (marathon) OR you can over-exert in the short-term and flame out before reaching your finish line
  3. You can try to take on everything yourself (and ultimately fail) OR you can build up your team so that they can help you in the future
  4. You can nest into lazy habits OR you can take an active hand in preparing for the future
Choose well.

Comments

Popular Posts