Wizard of Oz

My hopes are alive again. Just like that. The embers of a once dead flame have reignited.

I wonder what causes me to act this way. In what way exactly? Well, hesitant, undecided, closed up, retreating, giving up, lack of fighting spirit, discounting yourself - you get the gist of it. I have come to realize my insecurities are what causes me to act this way. And I am challenged to do better.

I come to think of these characters from the the Wizard of OZ story:

  • The Scarecrow: A scarecrow whose greatest wish is to have the intelligence he believes he lacks. He joins Dorothy's journey to the Wizard in order to request a brain.  
  • The Tin Woodman: A former woodchopper who was cursed by the Wicked Witch of the East. Her spell caused an enchanted axe to chop off each of his limbs. The Tin Woodman slowly replaced every part of his body with tin, but he did not replace his heart. He wants to ask the Wizard for a heart.
  • The Cowardly Lion: A lion who believes himself to be a coward.  

In short, no brains, no heart, no courage. In some way, I can end up being like all 3 of them.

Yet somehow all three of them find out that on their quest to find these, they had these things within them all along. Perhaps it just takes a quest to realize it.

Comments

Popular Posts