Epictetus: He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.

I felt really sad yesterday. Much more than my usual INTJ pessimism. I just felt crushed and inadequate all at once. I feel younger than my actual age, but reality tells me otherwise. My bald spot is showing, my bp is high, My skin is prone to eczema and I move less quickly and with less energy. I try to comfort myself - Even a pre-loved toy can bring a child some joy. It is a little scuffed and has a few more years on it but surely it can still be loved?

Then I bring myself back. I realize that in this self-pity and loathing some things can easily be forgotten. I remember the quote from Epictetus:

"He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has."

And here are the things I forgot that I should be grateful for: 

  1. I have a loving family that cares for me even if I sometimes take them for granted.
  2. I have good friends who consider me an important part of their lives.
  3. I have a job that I don't dread going to, and it provides me with purpose and financial stability.
  4. I have many skills that should not be taken for granted. Some were earned by sheer hard work and determination.
  5. I have the benefit of experience but am still not too old to put them to good use.
  6. I am healthy and do not have any chronic health problems.
  7. My surroundings and environment are very comfortable, and have almost every modern convenience I can imagine.
  8. I have the resources to learn and grow, to learn to be better than I am.
  9. I have the time to sit quietly and reflect, to give me the resources to deal with the storms of life.
  10. I am not encumbered by the responsibilities of married life.
  11. I am relatively free and am not under any form of persecution.
Well, here are 11 things. I'm sure the list can grow longer but it is a good start. It does help to be reminded of things that we should be grateful for.

Comments

Popular Posts