The first post of 2023 - A look back at 2022

 

Here I am on the first day of 2023. I'm looking back at 2022 with a beer and some quiet - Just the way I like it.

As I look back at 2022, I get a sense that nothing much has changed. I guess in some way, having some stability in my life is good. Maybe let's look into some of the larger components of my life in detail:

  1. Family -  They drive me nuts more often than not and can't stop arguing about really trivial and stupid things. However, it is a blessing to have them with me everyday, even if I do sometimes take them for granted. Life is short and sometimes unexpected. XX lost his father in 2022 - A grim reminder that we are all mortal, and the limited time we have together should be celebrated.
  2. Work -  I thought that the year went well as in I didn't have any major blow ups, or experienced anything truly unpleasant. I'm really happy and grateful to have my team, and while challenge inevitably popped up, none were devastating.
  3. Friends -  I guess this has pretty much been a pillar in my life. I have solid foundation of friendships to anchor me down when storms brew.
  4. Love - This is perhaps the biggest hole in my life and confounds me the most. I constantly wonder if I should hope for it or feel liberated by giving up. After all, I have been alone for so long I truly wonder if I am hoping for something that won't ever happen.
  5. Health - I was okay in 2022. Caught COVID and I guess my fitness and exercise discipline was off and on. But I think I'm okay. Generally healthy which is something to be grateful for.
  6. Spiritual - I'll be honest. I truly do not feel any connection to the divine. I only go to Church to stop my parents from going nuts but mostly, I just sit there and while away an hour staring at the ceiling at Mass.
  7. Hobbies - Yes, I do get some joy each time I buy and build some Legos, or pose my Amazing Yamaguchi X-men, or do something creative. I am running out of space though.
  8. Money - I got enough for the things I want now but not enough if projecting to the future. I think I am behind when I compare to my peers but eh? Why compare? You don't know how much you need because you don't know how long you will live.

What do I hope for in 2023?

I guess more of the same and maybe to find that someone I belong to. I hope to become a better version of me. This means greater presence of mind and restraint and not letting small things annoy and get to me. I also wish that I can get to a higher level of self acceptance. It has really been quite long since I was comfortable in my own skin and I loathe the feeling that I am not enough and that I do not belong anywhere. Professionally, I suppose I want to work towards something really meaningful and deliver value for others.

Comments

Popular Posts