LAS VEGAS DAY08 - Grand Canyon

Ah, the Grand Canyon. A "must-do"when you visit Las Vegas. So I woke up early, and dragged my tired ass to Treasure Island to ride on my designated bus. I managed to pick up a cold chicken pesto sandwich for breakfast on my way to the pick up point. Honestly, the pick up process was rather chaotic, but eventually, I got on a bus and off we go to the grand canyon. The bus was full and I sat next to a retired teacher who was initially quite quiet but ended up sharing some interesting stories with me (about how she used to teach, had an exchange programme in Russia, had recently undergone chemo, watched a Michael Jackson show in Las Vegas, and just had an interesting cruise to Europe.




Ah, the first stop of the day... A rest stop for toilet and some quick snack if you want to brave the queue. Don't be late of the driver/guide will leave your sorry ass behind. You have been warned. The brother ain't playing. What confused things was that Arizona time was an hour different from Nevada time due to crossing the state lines.




Our next stop was where we simply dropped off to get our tickets scanned. Well, that and also the helicopter tour people had to be dropped off here. So for most of us who didn't opt for the helicopter experience, it was a quick off the bus and then on again to our next stop, Eagle Point.




Eagle Point. Here is the place I did the sky walk. This place is run by the Native Americans and they do not allow photographs on the sky walk unless you pay for them. So I coughed up $50 USD for my photos. At least the photos were (kind of) nice. Had a quick lunch there and walked around a bit until it was time to go to the next stop.












Next stop, Guano Point. The guide mentioned that the views were 100 times better than Eagle Point. That was probably to get us to leave faster. There was a guy shouting for people to stop cutting across the roundabout for "safety reasons". If you like being shouted at and keeping to a specific timing, this tour is right up your alley. I remember having too much time here. After a while, the Grand Canyon, not matter how grand, is just a lot of rocks.

















Joshua Tree. Dropped off for 10 mins to stretch legs. What is the big deal about this tree? Did the guide say? Never mind, just ask google:

These Joshua trees are actually a type of Yucca, and were named by Mormons in the 1850s, who saw their gnarled branches in the arms of Joshua pointing to the promised land. Now these trees make for some pretty epic sights and lend the park a distinctive feel that can't be matched anywhere else.





Next up, we went to look at the Hoover Dam from the Mike O'Callaghan Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge, a bridge named after two American heroes. Honestly, by this time, I had enough of rocks and was happy to head back to the hotel.




That ends the Grand Canyon experience. How was it? Okay I guess. But did I get a wondrous feeling of awe? Maybe for a few moments before I felt like rushed, herded cattle where not being left behind on the Grand Canyon became a bigger priority than enjoying the sights. Back to the hotel and I just wanted a quick meal before calling it a day. It was Nathan's again but this time the Caesar was just so salty. At least I had the good sense to get a drink to wash it down.




 

Comments

Popular Posts